Product Titles (aka Item Name or Product Name) are like term papers: thoughtfully organized, focused on the topic at hand, concise, and informative.
Product titles should include essential product attributes. What do we mean by essential? Pretend that all of the product images on Amazon disappeared overnight. If customers only had the name of your product available, would they be able to make an informed buying decision? There are specific details you absolutely need to know before you place your order, right?
Let's look at an example: a sweater. Which brand is it? Is it for Women or Girls? Is it a Small, Medium or Large? Is it Red or Blue? Does it have a particular style? Is it made from a specific material or fabric? "Sweater" definitely doesn't give us enough information. Even "ACME Sweater" doesn't come close! "ACME Women's Cashmere Turtleneck Sweater (Red, Small)" on the other hand, provides a succinct description of the product's key attributes.
It's important to remember that the Product Title is a catalog attribute and not a marketing vehicle: unless they're part of the product name, search terms and keywords should not be included. Going back to that sweater, details like "hand-woven on Mars," "dry clean only," and "perfect for layering" are relevant to customers--but they should be iterated in the bullet points or product description, not the Product Title.
Here are some basic guidelines for how to structure this content and which details should be included:
- Keep it short: 80 characters or less is our rule of thumb
- Begin with the brand name
- The actual name of the product, the way it would be described in a sentence--no superlatives or slogans
- Include variation or critical attribute information:
- Model Number/Compatibility
- Material or fabric (i.e. Stainless Steel, Cashmere)
- Include distinguishing or value-added features--would knowing this impact whether or not a customer decides to buy your product?
- Quantity (if applicable)
- Physical Dimensions (if your product or similar products come in multiple sizes, this is essential)
- A4 paper / 8.5x11 in